Saturday, March 13, 2004

Maya's birthday paty - part II

The preparations went like clockwork until about 1/2 h before the appointed time.
Tania called and had a nice conversation with Maya. My computer - which we thought repaired, started ticking again...I decided to ignore it, spoke with Tania as Maya happily bounced her balloons. Suddenly, one popped and Maya started crying ("what will we do now? We won't have them for all the kids) Victor went out so I couldn't leave to get another, the computer was ticking and freezing...
I decided I didn't care, Victor came and started working on the computer for the nth time, I got another balloon...
From that point on, everything went perfectly. Kids showed up, ate , sang , played all Maya's instruments along with Victor...We played "pin the tail on the donkey"
After that we went on the roof and installed the pinata.
The kids took several turns whacking it, but no luck. I went inside and got my two Bush chickenhawk patches and scotch taped them to the pinata. And then I declared the grown ups turn
It wasn't a perfect arrangement - Bush's face fell off with each whack. Or maybe it was, come to think of it.
Wendy, Priscilla's mother ( a Clarkie) was like a force of nature: "This is for the Iraq war!" Whack!
This is for the gay marriages! "Whack! "This is for 9.11" Whammo!
Soon the candy was pouring and the kids were picking them in their goody bags.
We had some amazing birthday cake, the kids ran around some more on the roof, then everyone went home.
Unlike the previous years, this time I allowed myself to just enjoy the party with everyone else and I had as much fun as Maya did.

No comments:

Labels

Blog Archive