Saturday, March 22, 2003

Today I was proud of my New York!

Our march was a beaut'! It started to get good since the subway where a whole contingent of "Kids for peace" was taking the same train with us for 36 and Broadway - my 5 years old was very happy. Some other groups started chanting right in the subway station. We miraculously met the rest of our family at 36 and Broadway - but then the cops said we missed our chance to get in there and we need to walk on the sidewalk another block. I got a less than friendly arm squeeze but that was the worst of it. They were actually allowing people to join the march in progress - and it went on for as far as the eye could see. Some of the signs I remember: "I LIKE MY FRIES FRENCH" "LITTLE DICKS GROW UP TO BE DICTATORS" FREEDOM FRIES WHILE BAGDAD BURNS" "AFTER THE WAR HE'LL HAVE A JOB - WILL YOU?" (with a shifty Cheney next to an oil well.)
The crowd was spirited, chanting: "PEACE NOW". It was a beautiful spring day. Some were blowing bubbles, people were waving from windows with peace signs.
The cops actually let us march - they even complimented my guys anti-bush T-Shirt (a MacDonald reversed arches in a W " Billions of corporations served")
Someone in Union Square was distributing free water bottles - it was hot by then.
I was looking around me at the spirited faces - all ages - I felt so proud to be with them!
Towards the end, someone asked: "Bartcop?" (I had todays cartoon on my back and a whole collection of others on my sign getting lots of attention). It was Nolita NYC - and we talked forum for a while. The march ended su abruptly, I kick myself I forgot to give her one of my BUSH KNEW buttons (next time!).

No comments:

Labels

Blog Archive